FCI STANDARD № 101 Bouledogue francais
DATE OF PUBLICATION: 28.04.1995.
From 17/04/2015 the new and improved standard of the breed is in force. You can get acquainted with it on the FCI website
Companion, guard, dog for pleasure.
Group of 9 companions and the dogs
Section 11: Small Molossoids. No work tests.
Typical molos, small size. Powerful for its size, compact in all its proportions (parts), short-haired, dull-faced, chipped, with erect ears, with a naturally short tail. It should give the impression of an active animal, intelligent, very muscular, compactly complex with strong bones.
BEHAVIOR AND CHARACTER:
Sociable, lively, playful, athletic, passionate. Especially gentle to his masters and children.
It must be very strong, wide, square, the skin covering it forms almost symmetrical wrinkles. The head of the French Bulldog is characterized by a shortening of the maxillary-nasal part, as a result of which the skull increases in width as much as it decreases in length.
Wide, almost flat, forehead very pronounced. The sulcus arches are embossed, separated by a furrow, especially developed between the eyes. The furrow should not continue on the forehead. The occipital crest is poorly developed.
Wide, very short, turned up (chip).
The nostrils are wide open and symmetrical. The inclination of the nostrils, as well as the chipped nose, is not obligatory, but in such a position breathing is facilitated.
Very short, wide with concentric symmetrical folds descending to the upper lips (the length of the muzzle is about 1/6 of the total length of the head)
Wide, square, powerful. The lower jaw forms a smooth curve ending in front of the upper jaw. With closed jaws, the protrusion of the lower jaw (prognathism) should be limited. This curve is necessary to avoid a very large gap between the two jaws.
The incisors of the lower jaw should never be located behind the incisors of the upper. The jaws must not have distortions and deviations. The distance between the lower and upper incisors (waste) is not strictly limited, but a prerequisite is that the lips must overlap so as to completely cover the teeth.
Thick, slightly relaxed, black. The upper lips meet the lower lip right in the middle, tightly covering the teeth. The upper lips have a rounded profile. The tongue and teeth should never be visible with the mouth closed.
The cheek muscles should be well developed without relief.
Dark, with a lively expression, low set, proportionally far from the nose and especially from the ears. Large enough, round, when looking straight ahead, no parts of the sclera should be visible. The eye contour is black.
Medium in size, wide at the base and rounded at the top (“bat” type). High on the head, but not very close to each other, firmly upright. The ear openings are pointed forward, the skin is soft and tender.
Short, slightly curved, without sagging skin.
Smoothly rising to the groin, then tilts sharply to the tail.
Wide and muscular
Short and wide
Cylindrical and deep, the ribs are barrel-shaped and rounded.
- Abdomen and hips:
Tidy and without folds
Short, low on the croup, thick at the base, thinning towards the top, curved (curved) at birth. Even when the dog is active, the tail remains below the horizontal level. A relatively long tail, curved or pointed, is acceptable in some cases, but not desirable!
The forelegs, seen from the front and in profile, are vertical, parallel and widely spaced.
Short, powerful with strong and visible muscles. The upper part of the paws should be short, the elbows close to the body.
- Lower legs:
Short, straight and muscular
Round, small in size, so-called feline, well on the ground, slightly curved outwards. The thumbs are tight, the nails are short, thick and well separated. In tiger bulldogs, the nails should be black, in other colors dark nails are preferred, but light ones are also allowed.
Strong and muscular, the hind limbs are longer than the front, so the buttocks are raised. When viewed from behind and in profile, they are vertical and parallel.
Muscular, tight, not too round
- Knee joints:
Located low enough, shaped without angular or upright. The knees are short and strong. The French Bulldog must be born without extra fingers
Free movements, the legs move symmetrically to the middle of the body.
Short, soft, shiny and smooth.
- Uniform beige, tiger (with or without limited white spots) Motley – beige or tiger with medium or large white spots
- All shades of beige from “red” (dark beige) to light (“coffee milk”), with or without spots, tiger color with a predominance of black and white spots on the chest.
- Beige color with or without spots with a black “mask” on the face or without, with medium or large spots.
- All-white specimens are classified as “Motley beige / tiger with predominant white spots”.
- When the dog has a very dark nose, dark eyes and black eyelids, some depigmentation on the face can be tolerated, especially in good specimens.
SIZE and WEIGHT:
The weight should not be less than 8 kg or more than 14 kg. For a bulldog in good shape, the size should be proportional to the weight
Any deviation from the above parameters should be considered as a defect, its severity is assessed according to the degree of deviation.
- Tightly closed nostrils, “pinched” nose, causing constant, chronic snoring.
- Depigmentation of the lips
- Uncollected lips in the middle
- Bright Eyes
- Hanging goose
- Free (crooked) elbows
- Straight knee joints or facing forward
- Highly held tail, very long or very short.
- Spotted color
- “Long fur.”
- Incorrect movements.
- Visible incisors with mouth closed
- Visible tongue with closed mouth
- Stiff movements of the front paws
- Pink spots on the front, except for white dogs and those with a very light color
- Overweight or too weak dogs
- Different colored eyes
- Nose sponge other than black
- “Rabbit’s lip.”
- Dogs with a bite other than the opposite.
- Dogs with permanently visible canine teeth with closed mouth
- Defective ears
- Traces of surgery on the ears, tail or removal of extra fingers
- Extra fingers on the hind limbs
- Black color, with tan, gray or brown
- Any dog that has visible mental or behavioral disorders is disqualified!
- Note: Males should have two normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.